Saturday, October 6, 2012

Lenore Tawney

Some of you may know that Lenore Tawney has been one of my favorite artists since I was first studying fiber art. Amazingly, this year, 5 years after her death, the Lenore Tawney foundation has donated much of the materials from her studio to students at UArts and MICA.
Us book arts grads were fortunate enough to share in this gift! We are meant to create work with Lenore's materials for an exhibition that will take place at the end of the year in conjunction with exhibitions of her work here at UArts and at MICA.

I have been quietly working away on some embroideries greatly inspired by Lenore's work to be housed in the following miniature boxes I received. Each is only 1 1/4" in diameter. These will be seen in our Work in Progress show, the opening for which is October 19th. More info on that later!



I also received this odd wooden piece, which after discussion with one of my advisors I now realize was a device to form cigars. There must have been an original adjoining female piece. I'm not sure what I will do with this yet, but I'm really transfixed by the landscape nature of the cracked line running across it.
 


This is a beautiful book on chemistry from (just a guess) the late 19th century. It has fantastic diagrams inside and that fabulous poetic language so often formerly employed to discuss science.

Look at that marbled edge!

There are several pages where someone, possibly Lenore, wrote the page number in ink, as well as making other notations.


No comments:

Post a Comment