Monday, May 2, 2011

and then there was happiness and certainty.

I'm happy to report that I finally heard back on my scholarship application to the Arrowmont School of Arts and Crafts in Gatlinburg, Tennessee. I had applied back in February for a scholarship for Nick Deford's embroidery workshop scheduled for July, and I received notice last week that I received a scholarship for 50% of the tuition, and 50% of my room and board, which will enable my attendance!

This summer I will also be interning at the Newberry Library again, in the conservation department. I cannot wait to be with Barb, Giselle, and Becky again; these amazing women with whom I feel so connected and who teach me so much.

Sometimes there are moments when I feel that I am doing exactly what I am meant to do, and there is this potential in the air, where I can almost see the path in front of me. In these moments everything seems to work out; the answers become apparent without any seeming effort on my part.

I have just enough thread to complete a project. I find nails that are the exact color of the eyelets I used to support my paper. I have a scrap of book cloth that is the exact color of my stitching and the perfect size to use for the covers of my book. I'm going to Paris, Brussels, and Bruges and amazingly have the money to do so. I have a mentor who is allowing us to stay in his apartment in Paris for only $100 each for the week. My dear friends Ingrid and Jeremiah who I have not seen in years now (as they have been living in California) will be in Paris for the summer, and miraculously staying in an apartment one block away from where I will be staying.


These things happen and I feel that they were meant to, that they were always going to, that I simply had to wait and I would realize. Perhaps it's merely the immanence of summer and the excitement inherent in the chance to recuperate and spend time with friends, but I don't believe it's that simple.

Also, at long last I have completed the stitching on my previously pictured artist book. I now have to make the covers and the box to house the book, complete the arduino electronics, and write my art history paper (all before thursday) and I will be finished with my work for the semester (with the exception of critiquing my students and submitting grades). I can hardly believe that I can actually see the finish line, and it seems a tangible possibility.

No comments:

Post a Comment