Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Just checking in... almost done.

Well, my first semester is drawing to a close, and as usual when time passes it simultaneously feels that it was the first day of class just a few days ago, and that I have lived here for years, that my life before graduate school never existed. There is only the rest of this week and next week, and then I have one of 6 semesters completed.

One neat thing is that my paper piece
I had a disparate nature - my nature is disparate still was accepted into a juried show, a trade with a school in Pennsylvania organized by our graduate artist association. I'm still waiting for confirmation of the exact info of the show (the location, opening, etc) but once I learn it I will share it.

And I am finally nearing completion on my weaving piece, which I feel that I have been working on for ages. Sometimes it seems as though I have always been working on it. The white, stuttering sound wave went by relatively quickly; it is the brown, confident sound wave that is taking the most time commitment, as I have to paint the warp a dark brown, and each section I paint requires 4 - 5 coats with drying time in between. I'm finally approximately halfway done with the confident sound wave, so it looks like my goal of completing it by the end of the semester will be reached! Thank goodness. And although I love weaving, I will probably take a really long, much needed break from it before I attempt another piece.

Spring will be the time of paper and book art, and teaching my first college level course entirely on my own, Artists' Books. I'm excited, but also relatively nervous. I will spend the vast majority of winter break planning my curriculum and syllabus, and refreshing my knowledge of the simple book structures I will be teaching, as it has been a long while since I have made anything besides a fine binding.

...and I think that's pretty much all I have for now. I'll leave you with some images of the current state of the weaving.



No comments:

Post a Comment